Children can learn valuable knowledge from an early age and become anything they want. The early years of development are a time when children are naturally curious about things that they experience for the first time and are constantly absorbing new information.
Involving your child in learning while they are young and curious will lay excellent foundations for success in the future.
As with learning any new skill or language, children will be able to pick up and integrate what they learn quickly and intuitively if they are taught early.
Why Do Children Have to Learn Coding from an Early Age?1
Children are exposed to a lot of digital media in today’s world. They come into contact with so many available devices at home, school, playing areas, and so on. It is therefore imperative for them to understand the underlying functionalities of these devices.
Some people may think that coding is a highly technical endeavor that necessitates a high level of maturity. However, coding has now evolved into one of the newest forms of literacy, useful for both adults and young children. Teaching children to code while they are young has various advantages.
Computer coding has established itself as the framework for today’s world and is, in fact, a must-have skill. Children who know how to code will be able to communicate across cultures and countries, be creative and innovative, and will have exceptional problem-solving skills.
Learning to code right from a young age will give your child the best chance of success in the future while also aiding their educational development during their formative years.
At What Age can Children Begin to Learn Coding?2
Though this may be a topic of common debate, children as young as primary school age can start learning to code. Coding consists of a number of aspects and activities of varying degrees of difficulty. The simpler aspects, however, are well within the capabilities of younger children.
Now let’s look at three of the most important reasons why learning to code from a young age can have the greatest impact on your children.
- Brain Development3
One day is not enough to train the brain, and even four years of high school education may not be sufficient. Children are more likely to integrate concepts successfully when they are younger, which is why the first 12 years of life are ideal for teaching any new skill. When children are exposed to computer coding from a young age, they start building simple structures that become stronger with continuous exposure.
Building on those early circuits changes the brain’s inherent tendency toward language and logic, laying a firmer foundation for future learning. Therefore, learning how to code can help in the development of logical reasoning and language skills in children at an early age. According to research, doing something over and over doesn’t just make it easier, but also changes the brain itself.4
Similar to learning a new language, learning to code when children are younger will help their brain pick up and integrate the skill more plastically. Though it is never too late to begin teaching your children to code, beginning early will give them a distinct advantage.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine,the early changes in a child’s life play an important role in shaping their future.5 Early childhood experiences influence the development of brain architecture in ways that later experiences do not.
- Core Soft Skill Development6
- Coding helps in the development of problem-solving and logical reasoning skills.
- Coding helps in building resilience and perseverance.
- Coding improves critical thinking and computational thinking.
- Coding improves focus and organization skills.
- Coding promotes creativity and innovation.
- Coding improves writing and communication skills.
- Coding helps build confidence.
- Educational and Career Opportunities7
The world around us is changing at a drastic pace, and technology is becoming increasingly important in education and the workplace. More and more schools across the globe have started computer coding classes. There are numerous coding courses available online as well.
These courses will help children understand technology in a much better way.Coding and associated skills will only grow in demand.
Coding and technological skills have become a must across the board in most work environments and are the most important skills for job acquisition today. According to a current estimate, around 50% of all jobs paying more than $58,000 require coding skills, and that number is only expected to grow.8
Teaching children how to code from an early age comes with numerous benefits. It helps gain advantages in thinking, processing, communicating, and developing core soft skills, educational skills, etc. Your child could be the one to develop new apps, work on robotics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and other technological advancements that will help shape our future and improve our lives and lifestyles.
- Seven Reasons Why Kids Should Learn Coding (early!) | The Drum. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2022, from https://www.thedrum.com/industryinsights/2017/09/27/seven-reasons-why-kids-should-learn-coding-early
- At What Age Can a Child Start Coding? – FunTech Blog. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2022, from https://funtech.co.uk/latest/at-what-age-can-a-child-start-coding
- 3 reasons to start coding young. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2022, from https://bitsbox.com/blog/three-reasons-to-start-coding-young/
- Learning rewires the brain | Science News for Students. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2022, from https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/learning-rewires-brain
- Tierney, A. L., Nelson, C. A., & III. (2009). Brain Development and the Role of Experience in the Early Years. Zero to Three, 30(2), 9. /pmc/articles/PMC3722610/
- 13 reasons why every parent should encourage their child to learn coding skills – FunTech Blog. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2022, from https://funtech.co.uk/latest/13-reasons-why-every-parent-should-encourage-their-child-to-learn-coding-skills
- The Advantages of Learning How To Code at Such an Early Age. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2022, from https://swaay.com/the-advantages-of-learning-how-to-code-at-such-an-early-age
- Why Coding Is Still The Most Important Job Skill Of The Future. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2022, from https://www.fastcompany.com/3060883/why-coding-is-the-job-skill-of-the-future-for-everyone