Isn’t it incredible how technological advancement has enabled so many appliances to function independently?
Nowadays, there are few manual applications; instead, we have everyday gadgets that are referred to as “smart,” such as smartphones, smart televisions, smartwatches, and so on. They are considered “smart devices” because they can function independently without human intervention to a large extent with appropriate instructions based on the user’s preferences. All of this has been made possible through coding.
Can you think of five things you use everyday that do not use codes? From the moment you wake up with a digital alarm clock to using your smartphone and computer for work and recreation, coding has made our lives easier. Without code, our world would not be as modern as it is today.
Read on to understand how coding has contributed to making amazing strides in healthcare and how it can help children keep a track of their health.
1. Wearable Technology
There is an increasing demand and popularity for wearable technology today, and these devices are expected to be an indispensable part of our daily lives in the near future.1
Wearable devices such as smartwatches have embedded sensors that acquire data into their integrated process to analyze the same.2 This wearable technology is a boon to mankind as it has numerous expandable applications with potential growth in various fields such as healthcare and innovation.
Wearable devices have excellent functionality and can record and store data for a long time when paired with smartphones. Let’s look at some of the key features of wearable devices such as smartwatches.
- Clock and alarm:3 One of the basic functions of smartwatches are to tell time, along with other options of adding alarms, reminders, stopwatches, agenda functions, and calendars.
- Pedometer:3 Staying active is one of the prerequisites for staying healthy. Smartwatches can help children track their steps, distance traveled, calorie count, and keep track of their journey. So, along with health care benefits, there are also safety benefits for children.
- Water Tracker:3 Water is essential for our bodies to function normally, remove toxins, and stay hydrated. Most children forget to drink water in their busy schedules between school, classes, play, and other activities. Water trackers and reminders can prove exceptionally helpful for children to keep a check if they are consuming an adequate amount of water daily.
- Sleep monitor:3 Smartwatches are becoming increasingly effective in monitoring sleep quality. These devices come with inbuilt sensors to measure breathing, movements, REM patterns, pulsations, etc., to check the quality of sleep. Like water, adequate rest and good quality sleep are necessary for the health and wellbeing of children. These apps can help children track the same.
- Notifications and reminders:5 In our busy lives and schedules, we often tend to ignore our health, and all we need at times is a little push. Smartwatches have notifications and reminders that help us carry on and maintain our health care routine. From reminders to take medicine and drink water to getting up and moving around, there are multiple notifications and reminders that will help you keep going.
- Health monitor:3 Almost all smartwatches today come with health monitoring features that help you measure your heart rate, blood sugar levels, spo2 levels, blood pressure, and more.5 There are applications within wearable devices that can detect abnormalities in the pulse or sugar level and alert the users accordingly. This kind of medical health monitoring will help children understand the many factors required to track their health and well-being efficiently.
2. Healthcare Apps
- Diet monitor:4 Many mobile health apps have diet monitors that you can use to control your diet according to your preferences and eating habits to avoid unnecessary and unhealthy eating. It is helpful especially for children who tend to binge eat or eat unhealthy snacks, as monitoring the number of calories consumed can have a positive effect on children and will help them develop healthy eating habits.
- Doctor consultation:4 Gone are the days when you had to book yourself an appointment and wait in a queue to see your doctor. Nowadays, you can simply go for an online consultation without the hassle of leaving your comfort zone when you are unwell. There are many apps you can use to consult with doctors about your child according to your time and convenience.
- Chatbot:4 Many health monitoring apps come with chatbot features. It is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to get quick resolutions to simple queries and doubts regarding your health that would not require a doctor’s consultation.
- Videos: Some healthcare apps also have well-explained videos on diets, recipes, food allergies, calorie information, workout videos, yoga and meditation techniques, and much more. These videos can be helpful to children who do not have any prior experience with health care routines or fitness regimes.
- Blogs: Similar to videos, many mobile health apps also have blogs that speak in detail regarding many health-related aspects, such as the importance of proper nutrition and physical activity. There are blogs that explain in detail how to calculate your basal metabolic rate according to your BMI, calculate calorie surplus according to your child’s needs, and so on.
Stated above are some examples to show how coding has proven to be extremely helpful in improving health care by providing facilities for tracking and health monitoring. The many applications of smartwatches and mobile healthcare apps help track various parameters of physical and mental health, which are very important. As these devices display crucial health data and make it available to your knowledge, it helps children manage their health and track their progress easily and efficiently.
Read more intriguing posts on BYJU’S FutureSchool blog and connect with us to offer your thoughts on various other fascinating ways through which coding has changed people’s lives.
- (PDF) WEARABLE TECHNOLOGIES AND ITS FUTURE APPLICATIONS. (n.d.). Retrieved April 27, 2022, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275580004_WEARABLE_TECHNOLOGIES_AND_ITS_FUTURE_APPLICATIONS
- Domb, M. (2019). Wearable Devices and their Implementation in Various Domains. Wearable Devices – the Big Wave of Innovation. https://doi.org/10.5772/INTECHOPEN.86066
- ✅ What is it and what are the main functions of a smartwatch? (n.d.). Retrieved April 27, 2022, from https://hardwaresfera.com/en/articulos/que-es-smartwatch/
- A Complete Guide for Health Monitoring App Development – CronJ. (n.d.). Retrieved April 27, 2022, from https://www.cronj.com/blog/a-complete-guide-to-develop-health-monitoring-app-development/
- What are the Benefits of a Smartwatch? – Smartwatch Labs. (n.d.). Retrieved April 27, 2022, from https://smartwatchlabs.com/what-are-the-benefits-of-a-smartwatch/