Britney Spears is one of the most iconic figures in the music industry and is known as the “Princess of Pop”1 for the role her music played in reviving the teen pop phenomenon in the late 1990s. Despite the challenges she has faced in her life, Spears has made her mark as a singer in the music industry and will not be forgotten anytime soon. Here are some lesser-known facts about her career and accomplishments.
Table of Contents
1. She is the Youngest Singer to Get the Hollywood Star
Britney Spears earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame five years after releasing her first single.2 At 21, she is the youngest artist to have received this honor. It usually takes artists several years to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which makes it twice as impressive that she got it so early in her career!
2. Her Best Came at the Lowest Point in her Life
Of the nine studio albums she has recorded throughout her career, her fifth studio album Blackout is considered Spear’s best and most influential album to date. It was released during a time when she was going through an extremely difficult phase in her personal life, which was made even more challenging due to being highly publicized by the media.3 Through this tough period came Blackout, and this critically acclaimed album sold more than a million copies in the United States and more than 3 million copies worldwide. It is considered the best work so far and was added to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s music library and archives.
3. She Made it to the Top With Her Debut Song and Album
“Baby One More Time” Spears’ debut single was at the number one spot in more than 20 countries.2 The album by the same name, released in 2000, sold over one million records in the first week and became her highest-selling album with over 25 million copies sold worldwide. “Baby One More Time” was also nominated for a Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album.
4. She Almost Started Her Career in a Girl Group
Before embarking on her successful solo career, Spears was part of a girl group called Innosense.4 The group was supposed to be the American version of the Spice Girls. This girl group was created by music manager Lou Pearlman, who also takes credit for the creation of successful boy bands such as NYSNC and The Backstreet Boys.5 Spears was chosen as the lead singer, however, she quit the group before its launch.
5. She is One of the Top-Selling Female Artists of the 21st Century
According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), Spears has sold 33 million certified copies in the United States, making her the eighth best-selling female artist in the country. She has also sold 200 million units worldwide, which earned her the title of the top-selling female artist in the first decade of the 21st century. Spears has also won a Grammy Award, six MTV Video Music Awards, nine Billboard Music Awards, three World Music Awards, eight Teen Choice Awards, and 13 Guinness World Records.6
We hope this BYJU’S FutureSchool article has inspired you to learn music and use it to your advantage. Sign up for a free trial where you can learn how to play the guitar or the piano to get started with your musical journey in a live 1:1 setting with knowledgeable instructors—or check out some more articles on BYJU’S FutureSchool Blog.
1. Britney Spears | Biography, Songs, Albums, Documentary, & Facts | Britannica. (n.d.). Retrieved July 5, 2022, from https://www.britannica.com/biography/Britney-Spears
2. 10 Of Britney Spears’ Biggest Career Achievements. (n.d.). Retrieved July 5, 2022, from https://www.thethings.com/britney-spears-biggest-career-achievements/
3. Ranking Britney Spears’ Albums, Based On First Week Sales. (n.d.). Retrieved July 5, 2022, from https://www.thethings.com/ranking-britney-spears-albums-based-on-first-week-sales/
4. Unique and Interesting Things to Know About Britney Spears. (n.d.). Retrieved July 5, 2022, from https://www.insider.com/britney-spears-facts-2019-1
5. Britney Spears Was Almost In A Girl Group Before She Was Famous. (n.d.). Retrieved July 5, 2022, from https://www.thelist.com/751520/britney-spears-was-almost-in-a-girl-group-before-she-was-famous/
6. Britney Spears – Biography, Life, Facts, Family and Songs. (n.d.). Retrieved July 5, 2022, from http://www.famoussingers.org/britney-spears