Technological advancements developed by brilliant programmers have enabled us to live in a limitless world. Without a doubt, the creativity and contribution of these programmers altered our way of life in the modern era. While learning to code could be challenging for some, doing so is a great way to innovate and create. This article will introduce you to some renowned programmers who contributed to creating some of the most popular programming languages with their creativity, ingenuity, and fantastic work.
While many programming languages are available in the software world, and more are being developed every day, only a select few have become popular. These are the languages that have significantly impacted the creation of software. Programming language has been explored, criticized, and refined over the years since it is the most crucial factor in the field of software development. Although many people are likely to be familiar with some of the most well-known programming languages, perhaps fewer are aware of their creators. Continue reading to learn more about the programmers and designers who created some of the most successful and highly liked programming languages.1,2,3
Guido van Rossum- Python®
The Python programming language is versatile with a design philosophy that strongly emphasizes code readability. Its syntax is praised for being expressive and vibrant. Due to its readability, it is one of the most prevalent programming languages today and is also simple to learn for beginners.1,3
The fact that the programming language was created by one person is among its remarkable aspects. Although its rapid global adoption is the result of thousands of programmers, testers, end users, and IT enthusiasts, Rossum deserves credit for its conception.4
Dennis Ritchie- The C Programming Language
Dennis Ritchie is revered today as the creator of the C programming language and a trailblazing computer scientist. Without Ritchie, modern computers would not exist as they do now.7
James Gosling- Java™
The programming language known as Java is among the most liked and productive programming languages.1,2 Dr. James Arthur Gosling created the language and is best known as the father of Java.8 Due to its Write Once, Run Anywhere (WORA) functionalities, this general-purpose programming language, owned by Oracle Corporation, has become a standard for applications that can be utilized irrespective of platforms.1,3
Although he has written quite a few programs, he is best known for developing the original virtual machine and compiler for the highly successful and widely used Java programming language in 1994. He also helped develop several other software platforms, including NeWS and Gosling Emacs. Gosling was elected as a foreign associate member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering due to his extraordinary accomplishments. 8,9
This is by no means an exhaustive list; it only includes the top three programming languages and the people who created them. They have contributed significantly to the world of programming; without them, we would not be where we are today. With their incredible contributions, they have improved not only programming, but also the entire world.
Disclaimer: Java and all Java-based trademarks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Python is a trademark of the Python Software Foundation. All trademarks and brand names are the property of their respective owners and are only mentioned for informative purposes. These trademark holders are not affiliated with BYJU’s FutureSchool or its website, nor do they sponsor or endorse BYJU’s FutureSchool or any of its products.
- The 10 Most Popular Programming Languages to Learn in 2022. (n.d.). Retrieved October 21, 2022, from https://www.northeastern.edu/graduate/blog/most-popular-programming-languages/
- Most popular programming languages according to the 2021 PYPL index. | Download Scientific Diagram. (n.d.). Retrieved October 21, 2022, from https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Most-popular-programming-languages-according-to-the-2021-PYPL-index_tbl2_360246719
- Top 3 Programming Languages To Learn in 2022 | by Coding Made Simple | Geek Culture | Medium. (n.d.). Retrieved October 25, 2022, from https://medium.com/geekculture/top-3-programming-languages-to-learn-in-2021-7b2b41dc7484
- Guido van Rossum: Python creator whose work simplified coding – Hindustan Times. (n.d.). Retrieved October 21, 2022, from https://www.hindustantimes.com/ht-school/guido-van-rossum-python-creator-whose-work-simplified-coding/story-5U6W2EHhdqIWia4MN9L3VK.html
- The Most Popular Programming Languages and Their Applications. (n.d.). Retrieved October 25, 2022, from https://online.maryville.edu/blog/popular-programming-languages/
- Chistory. (n.d.). Retrieved October 25, 2022, from https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/chist.html
- Remembering Dennis Ritchie, Creator of the C Programming Language and UNIX Co-Creator – ReadWrite. (n.d.). Retrieved October 25, 2022, from https://readwrite.com/redux_remembering_dennis_ritchie_creator_of_the_c_progra/
- James Gosling: Father of Java – Javatpoint. (n.d.). Retrieved October 21, 2022, from https://www.javatpoint.com/james-gosling-father-of-java
- 6 Best Programmers of All Time. In this article I am going to talk… | by El Akioui Zouhaire | Dev Genius. (n.d.). Retrieved October 21, 2022, from https://blog.devgenius.io/6-best-programmers-of-all-time-deee13c8792d